Monday, December 22, 2014

Monday, Monday!

Hey everybody! It has been quite the whirlwind weekend, complete with a migraine, dancing to my new FAVORITE jam, family Christmas parties and sofa sitting! I will tell you that it was so incredibly nice to just be able to relax last night and know that we did not have to be any where. We also watched Tammy last night and I was a little disappointed that it wasn't funnier! Irregardless I am still a big Melissa McCarthy fan!

Friday night was the first time I've ever made bread pudding. I had initially planned on making another dessert, however I remembered the Mister raving about a b.pudding he had eaten recently, so I knew it was something he would enjoy. And let's get real here... bread, sugar, butter and eggs... yes! The recipe that I used was from Sweet Bead Studio that was adapted from Paula Deen's recipe:

1 1/2 c. sugar
5 large eggs, beaten
2 c. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Large loaf  Italian or French bread, cubed.  Allow to “stale” overnight (or place pieces in a 250-degree oven for 10 minutes) *I used French bread -- I used an Italian loaf
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 c. chopped pecans, optional - I used sliced almonds bc I was out of pecans. I think that a candied pecan would truly be the way to go here!

SAUCE
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted – can be reduced as well
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. brandy, optional

1.  Preheat oven to 350-degrees.  Grease a 9×13″ baking pan.

2.  Mix the sugar, eggs, and milk in a large bowl; add the vanilla.  Pour over the cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.  In another bowl, mix and crumble together the brown sugar, butter, and pecans.  Pour the bread mixture into the pan.  Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the top - so I did not have a mixture that had the consistency for "sprinkling", it was thick and very sugary. I improvised and gathered a little with my fingertips and tried to distribute it evenly across the top. It worked just fine- and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set.  Remove from the oven.

3.  To make the sauce:  Mix together the sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in a saucepan.  Stir together over medium heat until the sugar is melted.  Add the brandy, stirring well.  Pour over the bread pudding. Serve warm or cold.
The finished product!
Mister: How much butter and sugar are in this? 
Me: Enough to send a diabetic in to a coma... 
Paula Deen should be proud haha!! 

Saturday night we got together with my mom's side of the family. I mentioned this in my Thanksgiving post, but my mom is one of eight children, so its quite the party when we get together. Saturday night there were almost 50 - FIFTY - people at my uncle's house! That is my immediate family only......so much for a small wedding huh??

Each year we do a lot of appetizers and then a few heavier items rather than full blown meal. I brought mini monte cristos as my app! This recipe appeared in Southern Living many years ago because I remember making it from the magazine the first time, but Saturday afternoon I was just winging it from memory!!! 

Mini Monte Cristos: 

Mini Fillos Shells 
Turkey
Ham
Shredded Cheese of Choice
Seedless Raspberry Jam
Peach or Apricot Jam 

- Preheat oven to 350*  
- Place foil on baking sheet then lightly spray foil with Pam 
- Line shells on baking sheet
- Chop or shred ham and turkey 
This is where the photography stops - blogger fail - I was in such a hurry that I didn't have time to photograph the rest of the steps, so just get visually creative right now haha! 

- Fill shells with mix of ham and turkey then top with cheese
- Bake for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted 
- Top with small spoonful of raspberry or peach/apricot jam
- Voila! An app that both kids and adults like! I left several shells with no jam for the kiddos.

After eating a few of these at the party, I decided that they were missing something (even though everyone else thought they were great), so when I make them again, I am thinking about putting a dollup of spicy mustard in the shell before adding the meat. True MC's have a light sprinkling of powdered sugar on the top so I will have to add that next time as well!

So while are on the topic of food, I want to introduce you to the newest member of #clubcaudellcircle

Corn Flake!!!!!


This sweet kitty has been hanging around since Thursday night and we haven't determined if she belongs to anyone in our neighborhood. She was a big fan of the Italian Crockpot Chicken and has darted in the house a few times to warm up haha! I hope that she sticks around for a while!

Hoping to get around to blogging again tomorrow.... but should I not....

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! XO 


2 comments:

  1. Those monte cristos seem great! I will have to make them soon...I would much rather munch on app food than sit down for a meal, no matter what the occasion is...or lack of. AND these look SO easy...there's nothing much better than something that tastes wonderful while being easy to make : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those monte cristo's will be added to my list to try! I also had a huge Christmas with immediate family only. How did the mr handle it? I always say I need to find a mr that can handle my huge family :)

    ReplyDelete