Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year

I was going to write something profound about 2014, like how I learned a lot about myself or how this year changed me, etc etc, you know something truly philosophical that would just leave you feeling warm and fuzzy on the inside....

But I can't find the words today.

All I want to do is scream from the rooftops that this was the best year of my life and how damn excited I am that my best friend asked me to marry him. I think everyone already knows that thought haha!

2014 had it's ups and downs, don't get me wrong, I did a lot of crying. I also did a lot of laughing, I also did a lot of praying and I have since done a lot of thanking to the big man upstairs. Not only for the Mister, but for my friendships and my family.

My best friend got married. My parents celebrated 40 years of married. My dad's best friend beat stage 4 throat cancer. My cousin Ryan got engaged. My Aunt Dawn lost over 100 pounds! I met (again) the love of my life and welcomed a new mother and father in law and a sister into my life!

What I would like to say, is that I hope that at some point in time, everyone gets to feel what I do right now...and that is peace in my heart. I have more than I could ever need and I am truly blessed. I plan to carry the feelings of peace, hope and love into 2015 and I hope that you do as well.

The same week that we got our house, we agreed on what we would do for NYE - nothing. Well not "nothing" but we agreed to stay at home and enjoy ourselves and be together. NEVER in a million years would I have thought that this sounded like the best plan on the planet, but man oh man does it ever! If anyone ever tells you that they are planning on moving in December, tell them no! I HIGHLY discourage it!!! In between that and traveling for Christmas, while we have been together, we haven't been able to just relax and enjoy being alone. So tonight I have planned out a menu, we're going to pop a bottle of champagne to celebrate and sit out buy our AWESOME fire pit that my parents gave us for Christmas and reflect upon this wonderful year that is now coming to an end.
Cornflake decided she needed to warm herself fireside.

Yes, he has on shorts. You can take the boy out of SSI, but you can't take SSI out of the boy!

So, what is on the menu for tonight????

Baked Parmesan Chicken (recipe)
Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan and Pine Nuts (original recipe, but I've adapted it)
Twice Baked Potatoes
Spinach and Kale Salad

AND if that is not domestic enough..... I'm cooking New Years Day lunch too! Gotta get in those black eyed peas and greens for luck and money!

Roasted - on the grill - Pork Loin (recipe)
Black Eyed Peas
Sauteed Kale
Cornbread

Lawd have mercy I sound domestic! Just get me an apron and call me Martha Stewart haha!

And to end my ramble-turned thankful-turned recipe-last day of the year post, I leave you with this..

Today seems like a great day to drink champagne out of the bottle! 

Happy New Year Everyone


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes staying at home is the best. I love not having to worry about getting a cab or anything. Great way to start the year of you two just the two of you :) The food you made sounds delicious! I foresee you becoming more of a Martha this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I miss something having to do with a new year tradition? I have seen several people talk about cooking pork & black eyed peas.. Is that just a choice for everyone or something more? Im curious :) Ps looks like kitty stayed pretty warm by the fireside!

    ReplyDelete